Friday, June 14, 2019

Foley Reflects on Six Years at Ran

Six years!  I have been at Rainbow Bridge for six years. Frankly, if I knew the entire world would turn to crap after I left, I wouldn’t have felt so bad about leaving.

I understand you being shocked that six years have passed since I last trod on the mortal side of the river. This is mostly because unlike so many of my brethren; I never learned how to keep quiet after I passed over.

I have used my ability to communicate with the mortal world not to appease my ego but to let those left behind know their dogs are still running free and are happy.  They are in a place their parents are not allowed to visit, yet. (Maybe 25 percent to appease my ego, 50 percent to tops.)

I am happy that I was able to provide for my family so they could recover from the devastating pain that was caused by my passing. They aren't better than ever, let's face it, without me, how could they be? But, they are functioning in the harsh world. River Song has been a suitable replacement. Not a recast but a new role. Like MASH when Trapper John left, and they brought in BJ.  He was quieter and not as funny as Trapper, but he still kept the show afloat for another seven years.

River has done an excellent job at the most critical task that I assigned her:  Being devoted to our mom. The river is always next to her or within the sound of her voice.   I was the same way. We are both tied to mommy like a rowboat to a dock during a squall when one rogue wave could wash her away.

Dependable  Pocket is there as well.  She has never been asked to be the velcro dog. I had that position covered before she joined our pack. Pocket is the backup quarterback who can handle a series or two while the starter is being checked out, but she has never been full-time velcro companion.  She is too nervous. It takes a lot of time and training to be a velcro dog. If she were asked to do it more than a few hours, she would wilt like Andy Dalton in a divisional playoff game.

I must give credit to my little sister.  I didn’t think Pocket would be able to handle my duties on Tanner Brigade and Blogger, but she has stepped up admirably.  She has come a long way from the puppy who I wouldn’t allow on Doggyspace because she wasn’t housebroken. She followed my rules to always being kind in her posts I probably didn’t have to tell her that, she is genuinely kind unless you hide her ball.

I have been fortunate enough to learn many things in my time at the Bridge:

No matter how long you are on the mortal side, it is too short.

There is never any sense or reason about when and why we pass over.

Grief is a long, dark road through dark woods.  The length of the journey depends on the person mourning and who they lost.  There is no right or wrong way to make it through. No matter how hopeless it may seem, the journey will end eventually.

I know I have more lessons to learn.  If you stop learning, you stop existing.  

I do hope the world becomes a better place in the next six years.  Watching what is going on at the mortal side, I am glad I am here.


Right now the mortal place is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there

7 comments:

  1. You are such a wise angel-doggie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We never stop missing our angels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, you always have just the right thing to bark, Angel Foley. But I still miss you lots! I hope you will be there when my time comes to cross that Bridge. After all, I've been on the mortal side for 15 1/2 years now. BUTT Mom won't have any of that. She thinks I'll be here forever... {sigh} ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have accomplished so much at the Bridge in your six years. You are still live to all your friends

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sure have the most important job now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think God has made us mortals so that our hearts can break many times before it finally stops beating.

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Thursday

    Once again, Angel Sammys and Teddys Pawetaton have provided us with a photo for Poetry Thursday. Toby knew it was his last day And ...