Thursday, May 11, 2017

Ignore the Blood on the Floor by River Song


Last week mommy went to get a manicure.  Pocket and I sat by the porch storm door to wait for her and to bark at everything that went by.  Daddy stayed in the living room where he was close enough to check on us but far enough away not to be driven crazy by our yapping.
When the zombies walked by we barked, and sometimes we climbed on one another to get a better view, and, if one of our claws were too sharp, there might be some minor nipping involved and the one bitten will react like they were having their eyebrows set on fire.
But on this day there was no crying.  Mommy came home, we danced for her, she greeted us and we went inside.
Mommy, who can see any imperfection in her little palace from a mile away, saw small dots of something on the inside of the door.  She checked it and determined it was blood.  She then inspected the house and found some on the floor, on the storm door window, on the living room floor, and the closet door.
Seeing blood splatter around the house really freaks out a parent.  At first they thought I had ripped open one of my paw pads.  They checked them thoroughly but could not find anything wrong.  Then they thought I might have caught my tooth on something and checked my mouth.  They still couldn’t  see anything there.  Daddy found that the back of Pocket’s harness had large blood spot.  They both became very worried that I was coughing up blood.
A dog coughing up blood is one of a parent’s worst nightmares.  I hated to see them fret but I did not want them to know the truth because they might be mad at me.  During a tussle with Pocket I had bit off the tip of her ear.
An interlude from Pocket:  “Yes, River bit the tip of my ear and it began to bleed, but I have been accused of being a drama queen, so I kept quiet.  When my parents found the blood they would investigate, find my bleeding ear, and fix it.  But no, they began to check every inch of River’s body.  Hello!  Bleeding Yorkie here!  I shook my head to make blood fly around the room.  “Look, more blood!” they said.  Then they began to check River once again.  Man, this is what I get for trying to be brave!”
At dinner, my parents were still talking about where the blood had come from. Pocket sat between daddy’s legs and pawed him.  I was sitting on mommy’s lap.  Daddy began to scratch Pocket’s head.  Then he began to work his way up Pocket’s ears.  “Uh-oh,” he said.
My mom asked him what happened and he showed her the blood dried on Pocket’s ear.  I looked away and innocently whistled.  My parents looked at me and their faces showed…..relief.  They weren’t mad at me, they were relieved there was nothing seriously wrong.
An interlude from Pocket: “Oh yes; let’s thank God that River is all right.  I’ve got Evander Holyfield ear but River is OK.  Praise the Lord!”
Talk about a drama queen!  Pocket got her kisses and loving, and I didn’t get in trouble.  It was a win/win for both of us.  I don’t know why she is upset.
If there is one thing I have learned watching humans lately when you make someone bleed, plead ignorance and wallow in the affection.

10 comments:

  1. The tip of your ear is gone by gosh by golly poor Pocket. Now why did you make Pocket look like a Professional Boxer?
    Thanks for being a friend
    Sweet William The Scot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evander Holyfield ear...that is too funny. Hope your wound is healing well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruh Roh. Wells, now you gots street-cred! you can say that you were in a fight with a bear, and all you gots was this little nip on the ear..you should see the BEAR! BOL!
    Wells, I hopes your ear is healin', and I am sendin' a margarita your way...☺
    Kisses,
    Ruby ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. So unfair!!! Injured and IGNORED. Just disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We never really understand the humans - but we sure are glad this horror story ended well.

    Woos - Lightning and Misty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I was getting more and more worried but it was a happy ending, no one got told off and there was lots of luffs for the injured pawty. Phew, that was close
    Loves and licky kisses
    Princess Leah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. BOL Well River girls will be girls and we're very glad there was nothing serious wrong. It looks like you've learned your pawrents well. The only thing we will say is blood for blood girlie. You better watch your back for a while. We're putting our money on Pocket. She grew up with Foley and learned from the best.

    Love, Molly and my Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear it was nothing more serious than that. Better be more careful next time pups! The only time I ever got into fights was with my late colleague Joey dog, over chewy rawhide bones. I guess I could say I'm glad that he's not here so I can finally enjoy these treats. But I think I'd rather have my old friend back …

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you ear-ned just the ear of Mr. Holyfield, but nevertheless I hope you have no pains and it heals quickly and looks like new after a while. Will River get a nickname now? maybe Mike?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope your ear heals soon. Take care - nose licks and love from Moth xx

    ReplyDelete

Monday Question

  Have your parents bought anything for you for anxiety? Not me, but my parents...