Friday, December 29, 2017

Tails From Rainbow Bridge: Seeking Help For Those Left Behind

It will be 2018 in a few days.  The last time I welcomed the new year in mortal form was 2013.  I remember it well.  Pocket and I were snuggled in bed with my parents. 

 There was a big countdown, a ball dropped, best wishes for the coming days were expressed, and Daddy wondered what the New Year would bring.  He doesn’t ask that anymore.  The answer will present itself, with little either of my parents can do to prevent it.

I began writing about pups who went to Rainbow Bridge in 2009.  Back then I was like a journalist writing about a war I had never experienced.  I thought when I arrived at the Bridge I would understand.  But I have been in the battle for four and a half years, and while I have seen the war, I still don’t comprehend it.

Why is a dog’s lifespan so much less than humans?  Why would a benevolent creator make the perfect match between dogs and humans then make dogs lives a seventh as long as humans causing pain, pain, and more pain?   It is nothing less than a failure of creation.  Dogs and humans should be paired for life.  

Humans need to admit that a loss of a dog is as sorrowful and life-shattering as the passing of a human, sometimes more so, because humans grow up, move away, but dogs are constant, always home, always devoted, always loving, until suddenly they are not.  

Parents who lose a child often join support groups to share their grief.  But a support group for pet parents is met with eye rolls and “it was just a dog” comments.  It is time to get past that.  I have read countless posts on the Internet about parents who have struggled for months dealing with the loss of a pet.  Grief is grief no matter what caused the sadness.  Hopefully, someday humans will realize that and people will have to stop suffering alone.

Until then there is the Internet where kind people help one another with their grief.  I know it helps, but it cannot replace human contact.  No one recovered from addiction by talking with people over the Internet.  I don’t know if people can recover from the loss of a pet over the Internet either.  Do not be afraid to seek people in your community suffering from pet loss and share your stories.  Your vet may know someone struggling with pet loss.  Talking and sharing has been proved to aid healing. 

 Pet lovers should be able to access every tool possible to begin the road to recovery.
I hope writing about pups who have crossed the Bridge helps their parents if is only for a few minutes.  I had thought, at one time, when the day came that my friend Hattie crossed over, that she would be my last tribute.  But there will be others that follow Hattie’s footsteps. And I will continue to chronicle their journey.   Hopefully, I can help ease their grief parents grief a smidge.

We can’t stop pups from crossing Rainbow Bridge, but maybe we can help those they leave behind.

And we can stop thinking of us as just the dog and start thinking of us like the family members we are.


10 comments:

  1. So very well said by a very wise pup!!!

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bravo!!! ☕️๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ❤️๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿพ☕️๐Ÿพ๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ I really have always questioned why parrots and talking big birds live so long, and our faithful heart dogs have such a short lifespan. Great great story, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the brighter side we humans can experience the love of many dogs in our lives and the precious memories of each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your stories and I enjoy them a lot, but to me this one in particular is the best, so well depicted!.
    Happy 2018 to you and all your family

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such a blessing and comfort to all of us. All I can say is thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All those notes of POTP and prayers and hugs from fellow bloggers after a loss of a pet really do help. Losing a cherished pet is like losing a child. You never forget. It's comforting to think they're in a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts have meant a lot to us and have comforted so many including our mom. Thank you for deciding to carry on your important work
    hug
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so right. I hate that phrase "just a dog". It's wrong, wrong, wrong. I do find that the words of comfort from my blog friends help a lot. I know only a handful "real world" friends who understand how life-shattering the loss of a dog can be. Thank you for all that you do to help us cope with our losses.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These words just sank right into our mommas heart where they will stay forever. True words. Sigh..stellie rose

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for understanding the pain of the loss of the fur babies. After the pet cremation houston tx I noticed that I feel different, I feel pain and missing her is killing me.

    ReplyDelete

The Ruby Rose Report: What Happened Next Door

  It was a quiet Sunday afternoon. I was watching Oppenheimer with my parents and thinking of my 131 st great-grandfather Oliver, who live...