Thursday, October 7, 2021

I Was Teenage Praying Mantis by Pocket Dog

Dear Sweet Mommy: I, sweet little Pocket, have taken over the writing duty today because Foley is sleeping off our grand adventure with the golden eggs. It gives me a chance to state how much I liked hanging out with you on Monday in my praying mantis body. It felt like iI was a real dog again. 

When I told Foley that I was visiting you as a praying mantis, she told me not to do it because praying mantis bodies are bulky and challenging to manage.   But, I have been an angel for more than a month and felt up ready.

The issue with a praying mantis body is that they aren't airborne, which means I had to find a flying form, then trade it for the praying mantis, with a layover at your neighbor's house.  I used a bee.  I have earned a good reputation with them, and I like the buzzing.  I flew to where Maude, the praying mantis, was hanging to a leaf, hidden by the plants towering over him.  I had visited him in his dreams and arranged the switch.  He had never been able to experience a flower as a bee did.  I think it was a sex thing, but I didn't want to hear about it with my virgin angel ears.

Melvin made me promise I would take good care of the body.  Praying mantis are built to blend in, which helps them avoid being attacked by predators but hinders them when navigating clumsy humans and their massive feet.

I told him I would treat it as my own, then we switched, we left me momentarily dizzy, and we agreed to meet back on the leaf, and exchange bodies, in an hour.

My first few steps as a praying mantis were complex.  I am used to having short legs, and a praying mantis walks on stilts.  You and Daddy were on the other side of the house so that I reached the patio uninterrupted.  I was glad River was locked inside. I did not want her to eat me.

Maude told me the ground was the worst place to be.  I decided to climb the grill.  It was an exhausting trek, but I made it.  I climbed on the shelf and waited for you to sit.  Thankfully, because of your bad back, it didn't take long.

You sat next to me and looked so pretty. You immediately realized it was me.  I wanted you to scratch my head, but chances were good you would crush my skull.  Daddy took a break and recognized me too.  Then the two of you fell into conversation, and I laid in the sun, turning my head as you each spoke and slowly falling asleep, just as I had before I went to Sleep-Away-Camp.

When you stood, I realized my hour was nearly up, and getting across then patio, onto the grass, and into the leaves was going to be hard, especially when I was on the lawn, and that darn mower was chopping grass and insect heads.  Thankfully, Daddy gave me a ride on a trowel, brought me to the leaves, and slid me onto a leaf where Maude was waiting.  She had a marvelous time humping the butterfly bush, was exhausted and wanted to climb under a rock and rest.

When I got home, I told Foley how to sit with you, and boy was she jealous.  Who would have thought I would be giving Foley angel lessons?

And please look out for Maude.  She's a good bug, and I never know when I will need a new body. 

9 comments:

  1. we will look for Maude too...maybe it is you who will visit us for a chat?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Pocket, what an adventure!
    But life as a praying mantis sounds just a wee bit complicated (and that's without the whole thing about females eating the males after copulation). So I think I'm happy to stick with being a dog for now.
    Toodle pip!
    Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a sweet story, Pocket. Angel Lexi has come to me in my dreams...I sure hope I've never eaten her. XOX Xena

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pocket what a grand and well told story.
    Once we get passed how odd the praying mantis looks they are quite amazing critters full of wonder
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  5. Homeward bound ~ where there's a will, there's a way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess what? Praying mantis can fly and they're quite spectacular at it too. Glad you had a nice visit with your humans!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so, so happy you had a good visit with your Mom and Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, so precious.

    Have a fabulous day and weekend. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, we loved this post. Angel Pocket, we are sure you brought great joy to your humans as their special praying mantis.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete

Poetry Thursday

Once again,  Angel Sammys and Teddys Pawetaton  have provided us with a photo for Poetry Thursday. At one point in his 25-year career Klondi...