Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pokey Lunn>\: Pup of the week January 3, 2010


When I was just a puppy and came home with Mommy and Daddy for the first time I did not know what to expect. How would I be welcomed? Would I be chased out like an interloper or welcomed with open paws? I was put down on the floor, just slightly larger then a bug, and Daddy brought down a black and white Shih Tzu. Daddy placed her on the floor. Immediately her tail began to wag, her mouth opened in a wide smile, she walked over to me, and gave me a welcome home nuzzle and kiss.

I knew I was home. I resolved if they were ever to bring home a pup for me to meet I would greet them with the warmth and graciousness that Blake had greeted me. Each time a new dog was brought home, as my parents took me to greet them, Blake's hospitality was foremost in my mind, until I saw them, and thought "Hey, who the hell is playing with my toys?" and started barking. The intention was there, but the worst angels of my nature always took hold.

I know how difficult it was for Blake to greet me as an equal, and firmly support dogs who resist any interloper into the circle of love that is completed by their Mom and them. But I have an awe-filled respect for those dogs who welcome a pup, whose sole intention is to steal some of their beloved Mom's affection, as a best friend.

And no dog I know has done so like our Pup of the Week: Pokey Lunn.

For those of you who don't know, the Brigade has a new pack member, a beautiful boy who answers to Cooper Lunn. His Mom brought him home on New Year's Day, the best gotcha day of all. She was worried, of course, because Pokey owns so much of heart big heart, and Mom would never do anything to hurt him, that the Pokester wouldn't understand why there was an intruder on his couch and would welcome him with the distrust and trepidation, of, well, a Mini Monster.

But after a little sniff, a little nuzzle, the tail started wagging, the smile came out and Cooper Lunn's Gotcha Day was over. He was home.

So, for his graciousness, his hospitality, and his beautiful spirit (and wonderful Mom) Pokey Lunn is our Pup of the Week, and you're all invited to our place for next year's Cooper Lunn's Gotcha Day's Eve party. We'll wait until ten seconds before midnight, count down from ten, then watch his balls drop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday