Thursday, September 20, 2018

Pocket, Her Parents and the Rash Decision

I have been going to the vet so often they should give me a punch card, so I get a free examination every tenth visit.

Four weeks ago I had my anal glands expressed.  Starting that night, and continuing onward, I became obsessed with licking my butt.  I don’t do it often, but when I do, it takes a nuclear explosion to make me stop. I was not showing any other symptoms of anal gland problems.  No scooting, no discharge, no bad smell, just licking.

My parents have had dogs who damaged themselves by licking a problem area. Mommy needed to discourage my self-grooming.  A cone was discussed, but I would be miserable wearing the funnel of shame, and they were worried it would have an adverse effect on my trachea.

I have, from time to time, in certain high-stress situations, like storms, guests and playtime, suffered from excitable pee syndrome.  Because of this, my parents have always kept a pair of diapers nearby. I didn’t mind wearing them. If I did pee the diapers kept me from getting yelled at, so that was fine by me.

When my parents were trying to discourage my butt licking, they discussed several options.  The easiest, and seemingly safest alternative was for me to wear the diapers (I prefer to call them pants).  While I could still get to my butt, I couldn’t achieve a good lick. It was very frustrating. When the diaper came off I would lick, when it was on, I refrained.  

Until two night ago.  I was pantless and licking.  Daddy pulled my head from my special area and noticed a rash had broken out on my belly.   We were going to the groomer, who is a great judge of my health, in two days Mommy said they would get her opinion on my rash and anal glands.

It was a rainy, windy day when we went to the groomers.  Several times we had to slow down as our car passed through flooded roadways.  We floated into the groomers, and Mommy told her the sad tale of what was going on under my tail.

Two hours later my parents returned, wetter, and slightly shakier.  River Song was brought out first, and the groomer told my parents that she had impacted glands that were expressed.   Then I was brought out. The good news was that my anal glands were empty with no sign of infection. The bad news was the groomers were concerned about the rash.

She told my parents if I was her dog she wouldn’t rush me to the vet.  My parent took that advice to heart. They waited a whole day.

My Dad was sure my rash was caused be me wearing a diaper which aggravated my tender belly.  Mommy thought the culprit was the No Scoot chewable I started taking, which are made from brewer’s yeast.

My parents are terrible vets.   I was brought into the examination room, which, by this point should be called the Pocket room.  The vet entered, gave me a quick exam, looked at my belly and diagnosed a severe skin infection from ragweed.  I got two shots. One was an antibiotic and the second was a steroid. I did not mind the shots themselves, after getting a finger up, your butt shots are nothing.  Also, I was given a follow-up appointment in two weeks, because the vet cannot go long without seeing my face.

I did not consent to the steroid shot.  I hope this doesn’t get me suspended or keeps me out of the Dog Hall of Fame.  I swear on a stack on Dogster magazines I never knowingly juiced.



The good news is the diaper is now far back in the junk drawer hopefully never to be warned again unless I am feeling pretty it and works in my ensemble.  If I knew I could have got rid of that thing by interacting with a little ragweed, I would have been sniffing that stuff by the bowl full.

9 comments:

  1. our pawrents are also king&queen of misdiagnosis...if the vets see them they always have the funeral look... for the one of them who has to treat us... a couple of years ago the mama rushed to the vet with our rooster who had blood everywhere at his head...from eating black currants...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I'm glad they figured out the problem and the pants are hopefully history now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hee hee...the Pocket Room, we love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That darn ragweed - no wonder it is called a weed. Nothing good comes from weeds:) We are glad your vet determined the problem, and we hope it is gone forever. That must have been very itchy and uncomfortable.

    Woos - Lightning, Misty, and Timber

    ReplyDelete
  5. We use a couple of drops of Frankincense oil on Abby's head, ears, and neck during stormies and it totally calms her down (as I'm almost stoned dog). The Vet says it is safe and if she licks her fur it is also safe. Worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so thankful I don't have any problems like that! Hope you feel better real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good the vet figured it out and the rash is gone and no more butt licking
    Hugs
    Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is why vets get paid the big bucks! We love our vet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We think Norma Jean has a grass allergy. When she comes inside she starts licking her feet till Mom stops her. Now she's taking some allergy meds.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday