Sunday, April 30, 2023

The Ruby Rose Report: The Day I Voted

 


This week I took part in a very human event: I coted.

I had not planned to do so. I was having a typical Saturday. My Dad came home from work, and after I gave him an inspection, we prepared to go out, me in my bag and them in their car seats.

My bag was put in the backseat and I in the front. Most dogs would prefer this arrangement, but I don't. I like to be in the safety of my bag, and when we travel this way, I get a needle at the vet. I started shaking and got a touch of comfort.

I was happy when we turned much earlier than we would have for the vet. We came to a vast, more prominent building than anything I had ever entered. Why was it a mystery?

I listened to my parents, for if I could get through their ceaseless nonsense, they might say something informative. They were talking about voting, and I was ting excited. Finally, a chance to vote for American Idol contestant Haven Madison. The kid's got pipes.

But no, we were voting on a new city safety office to house the fire and police department. My parents planned to vote yes. But, I would make no such commitment. This was my first vote, and I could not be careless with my choice.

Dogs going with my parents to vote is a longstanding tradition in my family. Both Foley, Pocket, and River have gone, and that explains the trouble we are in. When he was young, his black, smelly dog Barney, who ran freely through the world, followed Dad when he walked to the polls. I wonder why they went; they were politically opposed and canceled one another's votes.

I got lots of warm scratches and rubs from the bored staff. I usually don't like strangers touching me, but they were all volunteers and needed to boost. I am always here for my fellow citizens.

I asked my parents to give me a reason why I should vote for the facility and was told the police and firefighters would be homeless, and no dog wants that, so I put my paw on the yes choice and did my civic duty.

I was happy when I found out the side I voted for won, but then I grew concerned that I would be seen as some political influencer and flown around the country to endorse candidates.

I am starting to regret coming out of the bag.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on doing your civic duty Ruby and we are pleased to learn that your side won. Here in the UK at election times Gail tells me there is a tradition of walking your dog to the polling station and posting photos. I, Nobby, haven't taken part in the election process yet, but my predecessor Bouncing Bertie did several times, e.g. https://bouncingbertie.blogspot.com/2014/09/berties-analysis-of-why-nos-won.html
    Toodle-oo!
    Nobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting that you got to vote on such an important issue. We've never gone to the polls with our parents and doubt we would be welcome inside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A line from any old TV show always comes to mind when it's time to vote, Ruby:
    "I don't vote; it only encourages them!"
    Unfortunately, like you, I also do my civic duty and get out there to chat up the volunteers, then cast my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been to the polls before. You are one lucky girl, Ruby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your parents are so great for making their voices heard, and an outing for you too! Win-win!

    ReplyDelete

Foley's Tails From Rainbow Bridge - Molly the Relunctant Angel

  I have been at the Bridge, performing my duties as a judge, including swearing in new members, for 13 years. You would think a dog tran...