Thursday, July 11, 2013

A River Runs Through My Life by Pocket

I think it is true of any pup who loses a sibling to the Bridge:  They have to go through a period of adjustment.  Mommy and Daddy were just busted after Foley left and it was up to me, with Foley’s coaching, to help them.  I am a modest, little dog but I do think I did a decent job.  I never made demands, I didn’t complain, I became the best me I could be.

Foley told me she was interviewing for position of second dog but I assured her that it wasn’t necessary, the three of us were faring well, and had settled into a normal, functioning, if unexciting life.

Then one afternoon, while Mommy was out, Daddy working, and I was relaxing in my crate, I heard water rushing, then the ground shook, the dam gave way, and a River burst through the door and has been running through my life ever since.

I figured Foley would have sense enough to get another Yorkie, something smaller than me that I could intimidate with my five pounds and slowly mold into the dog I wanted her to be, like Foley did to me, but instead I got this thing nearly twice my weight, who was all legs and teats, thought she was more experienced than me because she had a litter, and could jump from the floor to the stars.

The first day all she did was explore and snore.  I invited her into the bed, telling her that anything from the chest up was hers, anything from there downwards mine, and she respected that, for at least the first few nights, but then she started using those long legs to push me down the bed and next thing I knew I was sleeping by the dreaded feet.

In the morning when Daddy threw my ball to begin our morning game guess who went galloping after it and took it from me?  Then she didn’t drop it by Daddy to be thrown again.  She jumped up on the couch and degraded my ball by licking it.  Daddy took it from her and threw it again and she out galloped me again.  But, and don’t tell River this, the more the ball was thrown the more I like her retrieving it, since carrying it in my mouth was my least favorite part of ball.

We have had a few tussles but I have come out the victor, keeping her in line like Foley said I should.   I have let her have Mommy’s lap, since I prefer the seat next to her with my butt up against the heated vibrating part of the chair (hey, River got to make whoopee with a stud and have a baby, I should get this.  Don’t judge me!)

And River is going to have to go to training classes, something I never had to do, even if Foley says if I was doing a better job of training her River wouldn’t need classes.  I think the classes are for human anyway and Foley was responsible for training them.

I think we are going to be fine as a family, and I don’t worry about it raining anymore.  We must live upstream because all I hear all day long is “Down River.”


5 comments:

  1. Takes time and some adjustment. But we're sure things will work out!

    XXXOOO Daisy, bella & Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Down River ...BOL you crack us up. Glad everything is fine. Sounds like there in not too much to worry about. Pawsome. Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bol, pocket you keep that tail right next to that heated vibrating relaxing thingy,and remember you heard this from Anna Nicole that making whoopie is more like whoop their it went!!! For I too had one them moments but I felt more like the stub was a dub!!! Wow glad you don't have yo worry about living up river since you now live down river.nubby nubbies your fur/less friend Anna Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great story this morning. It's always good when you can go Down River instead of trying to swim upstream. We call that going with the flow! Sure makes life much easier.

    Hugs,
    Lily Belle & Muffin

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have faith that everything will work out for you but we love your updates on the progress.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday