Friday, August 21, 2026

Poetry Thursday

 





It's the first day of school

The first day with no lounging at the pool

The first day without staying on the corner playing the fool

The first day with having to follow the rules


It isn’t even Memorial Day

Why do we start too early, I had no say

I just want to go out and play

I  asked God to postpone this day, I guess no one listens when I pray


I tell you it's not fair

Life is not meant to be spent sitting in a chair

Being told what to wear

Or to experience such despair 


I was used to getting up at the crack of noon

Midnight to be howling at the moon

Promising to be home soon

Oh how I will miss the sunsets in early june


I got up this morning when the alarm did ring

It was still dark out I couldn't see a thing

I dreaded what the day would bring

And didn't have the energy to tie my shoestring 


They he said I would be able to see my old friends once more. 

People I spent the entire summer trying to ignore.

The stupid, the loud mouths, and the all out bores

Talking with them is another school chore.


Having lost all hope, I told my son to let my leg go.

I am a teacher and I owe.

And so begins my fall, winter, and spring of woe.

How I am going to put up with these screaming whiny kids for another year, I do not know.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Poetry Thursday

  It's the first day of school The first day with no lounging at the pool The first day without staying on the corner playing the fool...