Thursday, August 18, 2016

A long, hot summer by Pocket Dog

It is scorching outside.  It is even hot when it is dark which is worse because you can’t see it.  I don’t like the heat.  
My paws sizzle when they hit the pavement.  
We barely walk now because River has a compressed face and begins panting quickly.  My outside activity is limited.  I am concerned.  I might have gained an ounce or two, which is concerning.  If I weighed 160 pounds I would have gained four whole pounds!
I have to look out the window to see what is happening in my gardens.
The birds at our feeders don’t go to them now.  They order takeout by employing some nestless birds to take the food from our feeders and bring it to their nests.  If the servers do not get a tip, they do a somersault out of the tree.  Remember if you don’t tip your servers someone will flip you the bird.
The squirrels don’t hunt for food either.  They set up a stand on the side of the road and sell their roasted nuts.
River and I have switched roles with Daddy.  In the winter we don’t pant, and he wears pants, in the summer we pant and Daddy makes the neighbors look away in shame.
The heat often brings thunderstorms.  I don’t care for them at all.  I am usually good when the lights are on but when they are off, and the lightning flashes momentarily illuminating the room, I become nervous.  When nervous I move for higher ground which means Daddy’s head, even when he is sleeping.  He woke up with me sitting on his face.  When he realized, he was not having a college flashback he walked around the house with me until I settled down.
I am hoping for some cooler weather soon.  We need our walks.  I am sure our neighbors miss our incessant barking disturbing their peaceful mornings.
Here in the Village of the Pruned, it has been a hot and quiet summer.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Pocket Dog - so glad to have found your blog! I am now following you! Yes, it is hot here too, but your place is pawbably worse.
    From Vancouver,
    Louis Dog Armstrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are blessed that it is cool enough early in the day for a good walk. We had a few days it wasn't. Fall will be here before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are looking forward forward to our CA winter
    Lily & Edward

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are starting to cool a little bit - fall may be in the air
    hugs
    Mr Bailey, Hazel & Mabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack us up - we can just picture you on Daddy's head. We have some severe thunderstorms possible overnight - Mom is hoping Ciara hangs in there OK.

    It won't be long before fall and cooler temps arrive - we can't wait.

    Woos - Ciara and Lightning

    ReplyDelete
  6. We got rain and cool weather here - y'all can have it!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday