Thursday, August 15, 2024

Poetry Thursday

 



It's Poetry Thursday and my friend Angel Sammy has sent us this picture to inspire us


Each summer I would spend a week with my Auntie

A former showgirl who had a fling with Durante

We’d play poker, no more than penny ante

And she would tell me tales of when she was an Avanti


The cottage had no electricity, sewage, or running water

I didn’t know if she owned it or was just a squatter

She said to her I was like a daughter

And she smiled with every freshly picked flower I bought her


I was 21 when she passed away

My Mom found her, skin taut and gray

We buried her on a sunny day

Under  a nest filled with singing blue jays


The next day they read her testament

And the cottage was left to me without my consent

“We should bulldoze the place,” my Mom did lament

Her tone of voice marking there was to be no dissent


I talked to my Mom until letting me spend one night

At 2:00 AM I woke up and their yard was light

I stumbled out to see fairies, elves, and sprites

All dancing in playing in delight


Then I felt a hand in mine

It was my aunt looking divine

She chose me to own the house by design

Knowing I would be the one to provide the forest creatures a lifeline


Now many years later, I am showing you my house, Clarice

For someday soon I will be at peace

And I know you will allow these creatures to play without cease

As I pass down this little bit of magic to another niece





8 comments:

  1. Such magical images you've conjured and created -

    H&K&W,
    Willow
    PeeEssWoo: That one was not a ski mountain without snow - that clearing is due to big ass electric lines - there are some ski resorts north and south of here - always KHOOL to see their whiteness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We can't believe it. A fairytale ending!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that is sweet..we never will bulldooze such a magic place...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a magical place that little house and garden are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you to inherit such a gem! I loved your tale!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a tiny house I could be happy in
    Hugs Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Beat this caption

  Phone call for Mary? Which one is Mary?