Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Malatesta Pups are our September 25, 2011 Pups of the Week

There is a movie called The Great Escape. It was made when all those old or passed Hollywood stars were young and good looking. In the movie a number of prisoners escape from a Nazi prison camp. A handful stay free from capture. Others were captured. 50 were executed. The movie was based on real events. To a generation, when you mentioned "The 50" it meant something. The 50 were being transported back to the POW camp when they were told to get out of the transport trucks and stretch their legs. When they did the Nazis gunned them all down before they knew what was happening.

Now we have the Six. The six dogs belonging to Paula Malatesta. A week ago she had a heart attack. While she lay in the hospital family members, without her consent, made the decision to take them to surrender them to animal control. There the Six were killed while their Mom lie unaware in her hospital bed. 

When she found out her condition worsened, but thankfully the doctors were able to get her back on her feet. She then dealt with those still living, along with her outstanding friends who helped find homes for them, provided homes for them, provided transportation, set up and contributed to a chip in for her, showered her with words of faith and love, showing that there is no online communities like the online dog communities because these communities are based on love. 

Wishbone is at his new home with Annie and Blossom. Max is at his new home at Boudica's house. LeAndra also is going to her forever home. Miss Paula then will go stay with Aunt Cheryl while Puppy and Khan go to the vet's to be kept safe while she decides her future. So now, with the lyrics to the old song "The Streets if Laredo", are The Six, our Pups of the Week, may they always run happy, free, healthy, and carefree at the Bridge, and may they never know the harsh touch of the evil that inhabits some men. 

 As I walked out in the streets of Laredo
 As I walked out in Laredo one day,
 I spied a young puppy, all wrapped in white line 
Wrapped up in white linen and cold as the clay. 
Chiwennie, with us only eight months. 

"I see by your outfit, that you are a puppy." 
These words he did say as I slowly walked by. 
"Come sit down beside me and hear my sad story,
For I'm shot in the chest, and today I must die." 
Charlie Bear, 10 year old Shih Tzu rescued because Paula did not want him to die in a shelter. He died in a shelter without her consent. 

'Twas once in the saddle I used to go dashing, 
'Twas once in the saddle I used to go gay. 
First down to Rosie's, and then to the card-house, 
Got shot in the breast, and I'm dying today."
 Yacotaco a sweet chi, doxie mix 

"Oh, beat the drum slowly and play the fife lowly, 
And play the dead march as you carry me along; 
Take me to the valley, and lay the sod o'er me, 
For I'm a young puppy and I know I've done no wrong." 

Gravy, a Matleepoo destined for his forever home September 24. Put to death before her got there. 

"Get six jolly puppies to carry my coffin,
 Get six pretty maidens to bear up my pall. 
Put bunches of roses all over my coffin,
Roses to deaden the clods as they fall." 

Walter, who slept with Paula's special son Donald. 

Then swing your rope slowly and rattle your spurs lowly,
And give a wild whoop as you carry me along; 
And in the grave throw me and roll the sod o'er me.
For I'm a young puppy and I know I've done no wrong." 

Brandon, Paula's special heart dog and companion and friend to us all. 

"Go bring me a cup, a cup of cold water. 
To cool my parched lips", the puppy then said. 
Before I returned, his soul had departed, 
And gone to the round up - the puppy was dead. 

We beat the drum slowly and played the fife lowly, 
And bitterly wept as we bore him along.
For we loved our comrade, so brave, young and handsome, 
We all loved our comrade, because he'd no done wrong. 

Looking at the pictures all I can think of is the words of Jim McKay after the death of the Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics. "They're gone. They're all gone.'

We need to make sure nothing like this occurs again. I have a couple of ideas. One is that we have lawyers set up a pet proxy like a health proxy. A pet proxy would give control of our pets to someone we select the same way as a health proxy would give a person control over your health when we are incapacitated. There would have to be some legislation on the state level where pets could not be put down without someone either proving that they are the rightful owners of the pet or that they hold the proxy. 

Also there should be some legislation in every state that animal control can not put down a surrendered pet for 72 hours to make sure that the person who surrendered the pet had the right to make that decision. This would also have to be done through legislation. I am not a political person, or one well versed in law, so I am not to give advice on how to accomplish this, and some of you may have better ideas on what can be done to make sure that no one has to suffer the way Paula had to suffer. 

I have seen what this group can do, in helping with transports, and with finding homes, and taking in pups, and transporting them, I know there will be some great ideas, and miracles will occur. We shall never forget Paula's Six and vow to do all we can to try to heal the wounds in her heart and to show her that their is love and forgiveness in this world and people willing to work and fight together, because, while the darkness does win some battles, and leaves us with extraordinary pain, inevitably, the goodhearted shall win the war.

5 comments:

  1. Foley Monstew and Pocket,
    i came to thank you fow coming to my biwfday and now I see this howwible injustice and sadness.
    Those six pups should be hewe being loved and being pwotected..how could they do this???
    Mommi and I awe not good at pawliticks, but I pway and hope that some clevew pawson wif a heawt will see this and help do that legislation
    sad sad smoochie kisses
    ASTA

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart is still breaking for Paula and her 6 lost babies. I can not imagine the hate in a heart that could do something like this. I have a tribute half written for Kol's Notes but it is not even half as well written as this. Would it be OK if Inreposted this and linked it back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how my heart hurts! Praying Paula feels the love and prayers and good thoughts being sent her way, that she can actually feel us hugging her with loving, strong arms as our tears mingle with hers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry for Paula and for the six gorgeous kids that are in the bridge. This is the saddest, most unforgivable thing I read. All I can hope is that the kids know they were loved and will never be forgotten

    ReplyDelete

Monday Question

  Have your parents bought anything for you for anxiety? Not me, but my parents...